Sunday 10 August 2014

Sunday Music

Another rainy Sunday passes and brings with it Sunday Music. I'd planned a couple more posts for this week but lack of time and a surfeit of procrastination killed them, or at least pushed them back a week. A review of comic The Fuse will show up next week. I had planned to do a My Favourite Albums post about Leonard Cohen's New Skin for the Old Ceremony but I'm thinking I might do Salutation Road by Martin Stephenson & The Daintees instead. 


The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experience One of my very favourite tracks on one of my very favourite albums. Hendrix's brilliance is pretty much universally acknowledged but I think Mitch Mitchell's genius is too often overlooked. Listen to this song and pay particular attention to how he's drumming. This is a jazz fusion song as much as a rock song and that's down to Mitchell's drumming and the way he and Hendrix feed off each other.



Ghost Riders In The Sky - The Shadows (originally by Stan Jones) This isn't my favourite song by The Shadows or my favourite version of this song but I needed a cover and I'd never posted a song by The Shadows before; I decided to put that wrong right.



After Hours - The Velvet Underground Originally this was going to be I'm Sticking With You but I'll leave that for another two weeks. After Hours seemed the perfect song to use instead. Another song with Mo Tucker's vocals but in many ways an opposite to it.



Darker By The Day - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds The standout track from And No More Shall We Part, a turning point album for Nick Cave, this really shows off Nick Cave's abilities as a story teller. This was the first bad Seeds album I owned and this was the first song from that album I loved.



Depth Charge Ethel - Grinderman Over time the Bad Seeds changed from a raw post-punk band to something much more orchestral and polished. Grinderman was formed by 4 Bad Seeds, (Nick Cave, Warren Ellis, Jim Sclavunos and Martyn P. Casey), and produced two raw rock albums that still feature Nick Cave's story telling lyrical style.



Past Mistake - Tricky Tricky sounding very Tricky-ish from the 2008 album Knowle West Boy, with guest vocals from Lubna. A song with roots in his earlier albums, I'll be discussing this album sometime next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment