Saturday 9 August 2014

Tricky listening

Another week and another Tricky album. This week it's 2003's Vulnerable.

The cover of Love Cats I used in last week's Sunday Music comes from this album. This is an album that I'm not a huge fan of. There's a sort of club style dance music feel to parts of the album that I'm not really a huge fan of. It's not a bad album, it's just one I have no desire to listen to again.

However there is one song from it I love, Car Crash. So instead of skipping this album and/or this week, I'll just post that song.

Car Crash by Tricky

Car Crash is the track on the album that is best suited to the vocals of Tricky and Constanza. I'm as much a fan of Tricky's gruff and raspy vocals as anyone else, but his delivery on this track is toned back, a back-up vocalist that adds depth to the sing. Costanza takes centre stage here. Her voice rises above the atmosphere of the rest of the track and is full of grace. Remember those chillout compilation albums that started gaining popularity in the early 2000's? This track is what they all aspire to be. Full of depth and texture, relaxing without ever zoning you out of the sound of the song and into a comfort zone where the track is just background music. It's laidback and vital at the same time. That's a tough feat to pull of.

No comments:

Post a Comment